I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, February 27, 2020

It Just Spins

From the Rosetta Tarot, the Wheel of Fortune; from the Ascension to Paradise deck, Loon:

What people don’t like to think about is that you can do everything right...and still get the short end of the stick. ― Lori Gottlieb

          There is a twisted, sick version of karma in the West; it blames people for the bad that happens to them and judges them for the good that comes their way. For instance, we assume someone declared bankruptcy because they don't know or care about managing their money when it could be the result of unexpected medical costs that insurance didn't cover. Or, we imply that a coworker slept her way into a promotion instead of working her ass off to get a new position. Yet as Gottlieb reminds us, the stick of fortune may at times skewer us or offer us an hors d'oeuvre, regardless of our good or bad behavior. Life is constantly in motion, and we often have little control over where that Wheel stops. The Loon is a waterbird that can dive deeply underwater to feed. It reminds me that even though I might get randomly walloped by the unforeseen, I still need to pause and consider if my actions or beliefs played any part and change them if necessary. If not, I can focus on acceptance and adjustment rather than self-pity or blame. The Wheel doesn't care, it just spins.

6 comments:

  1. So many people ascribe to the notion of Karma. I hear it all the time, people hopeful to be around when Karma catches up to someone. Why be so hopefully of another's misery and pain. What Karma was in play when I went up in a tornado or these people lost in mass shootings. We need help on this Planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd do better to work on our ability to be kind and compassionate rather than judgmental! And you're right - people are quick to say if it happens to someone else, it must be karma, but if it happens to them, someone or something else is at fault.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the rant. I just do not understand others joy in someone else's misery. You are right The Wheel doesn't care, it just spins.

      Delete
    3. Didn't bother me a bit. I too don't understand that kind of 'joy' either. It's like their soul is a dried up husk.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree with both of you. My idea of karma is basically patterns of behavior that can become more in grained or be changed. It's about as moral as gravity.

      Delete