I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Bearing Witness with Love

From the Sasuraibito Tarot, the Lovers; from the Soul Cards, Breaking Free:

Our choices determine our fate. ~Robert Place

          Investing in a relationship changes us when it is supported by a deep commitment based in love. It tests and stretches us, yet we also find that such vulnerability and openness can fill us with a joy and contentment that is rare. But the other side of the coin is found in Breaking Free: what happens when loss or change threatens that bond? Do we find ourselves wanting to sprint away as quickly as possible to protect our heart? I am currently the caregiver of a 16 year old cat in rapidly declining health. Because he is not in pain (and because he has always been terrified of the vet), I have made my bedroom into a hospice to allow him to pass where he is most comfortable. My heart sinks as I watch him continue to weaken. And if I am honest, my head tries to convince me that if I have him euthanized I won't have to bear witness. But I know this is not the right choice for him - to die surrounded by bright lights, harsh smells and loud noises at the hands of a stranger. Love doesn't let the other - whether person or pet - go through the hard stuff alone.


4 comments:

  1. My heart aches for the your sorrow at hand. I try not to think of the days when Kitty has to leave. Hopefully not for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the deaf kitty is still in his porch chair. :) Many years ago, a battered, skin and bones cat showed up on my porch. She was terrified of me, but was hungry so I fed her (and occasionally sneaked up and sprayed Bactine on her wounds). She had kittens, one of which was killed, so I took the other one to raise indoors. She was an outdoor/indoor cat (being feral), but after several years she came to live permanently indoors. She passed a few years ago (during the hurricane); this is her son (Cloudy Boy) that is leaving us now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much love to offer, good for them, good for you.

    ReplyDelete