I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, April 18, 2021

Unexpected Jabs and Gifts

This week I'll be working with the Sasuraibito Tarot, self-published by Stasia Burrington. I'll also be using Soul Cards 1 & 2, created by Deborah Koff-Chapin and published through her company, Center for Touch Drawing. The Soul Cards have no titles, so the ones given here are my own. Today's draws are the Five of Swords and The Gift:

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. ~Max Ehrmann

          Brag, pontificate, shock and stir-the-pot - these seem to be the main motives for people posting on social media these days. While looking for an obit of an acquaintance on Facebook this morning, I ran across a post by a relative who seemed to think that Asian American hate was something made up by liberals. My first thought was to add a few daggers to my own fingers and reply that his white male privilege was showing. But then I had to pause and ask myself, would that help and heal or inflame and cause more aggression? Such a comment would just show my own hostility and create more hatred. But how do I channel this energy in a healthy way? The Gift shows an angel-like figure giving a flower to a person whose world has gone dark. I too can offer unexpected kindnesses to those who are struggling. It may simply be by asking "How can I help?" It's surely a better alternative than trying to win a battle based on hatred.

Aggression only moves in one direction - it creates more aggression.
~Margaret J. Wheatley


4 comments:

  1. I too have had to step back from a sharp retort on the same subject. Nothing good happens when we make another wrong, we have to approach change with hope and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You can't change people's minds who are willfully ignorant. I decided to move my energy toward researching and donating to a worthy cause: Asian Americans Advancing Justice.

      Delete
  2. but I won't give them a flower either...it would just make them believe I approve of asshattery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my focus was on helping Asian Americans, not the conspiracy theorist. :)

      Delete