I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Cranky Old Friend

From the Ellis Deck, the Hanged Man; from the Brownies Oracle, Thin Ice:


          Little flames encircle this hanging bunny; there's nothing that gets peoples dander up like realizing they have no control over a situation. The city in its wisdom has declared a corner of my backyard as their own, and so they will remove fencing and shrubs to pave the alley next to us. We had no idea until some strange man was seen hammering stakes in our yard. I've written my commissioner and mayor, but like this bunny, my hands are tied. Buddhist teachings say that the antidote to aggression in all its many forms is patience. In the past, I've managed to escalate problems with aggressive tactics, not solve anything. Patience means I sit with my edgy energy without reacting, ignoring, or pretending I don't feel it. As Constance Kassor explains, "patience is a skill that allows one to pause long enough to see a situation clearly, and then respond to it accordingly." Thin Ice suggests what happens when I feed my frustration with stories and strategies rather than letting it be. A lack of patience (and clarity) are what will land me in icy waters rather than bring resolution. Instead I can sit with my cranky, old friend impatience, and see what I can learn from her.

2 comments:

  1. probably can't fight city hall, but the key to holding them off might be lack of notice. Gurr worthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mayor sent me a letter (a copy of what he had sent to the departments responsible for the surveying and paving) detailing my concerns. We'll see ....

      Delete