I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, May 30, 2021

5,4,3,2,1 Go!

This week I'll be using the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, created by Granny Jones (Rebecca Jones) and published by Kangaroo Press. Along with it, I'll be drawing from the Button Oracle, a set I made myself from a collection of buttons. Today's draws are the Chariot and German Shepherd:

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward.
~Ellen Glasgow

          Granny, accompanied by her feline companions, energetically pedals her bike. Perhaps she is going to visit a friend in need who lives in the vardo down the road. Hopefully she centered herself before her journey or her frantic anticipation may have caused her to forget something important. I once got a call that my mother (who lives in another town) was being taken to the emergency room. In my anxious and hurried state to get to her, I packed a suitcase full of socks and no underwear. The German Shepherd, long used in search and rescue as well as narcotics and explosive detection, has been assigned the keyword 'investigation.' Being able to work regardless of distractions, this dog encourages me to sharpen my focus in order to discern the moment's needs. I recently came across a grounding exercise (called 5,4,3,2,1) that is quick but useful for such times of anxiety:

  • Name five things you see around you.
  • Name four things you feel.
  • Name three things you can hear.
  • Name two things you can smell.
  • Name one thing you can taste (taste currently inside your mouth).
  • For any 'blanks' you draw, substitute something you are grateful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment