I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Adjusting Our Sails

This week I'll be using the Deirdre of the Sorrows Tarot, a self-published set created by Deirdre O'Donoghue and illustrated by Wayne McGuire. Along with it, I'll be drawing from the Victorian Flower Oracle, created by Alex Ukolov, Karen Mahony and Sheila Hamilton; it was published by Magic Realist Press. Today's draws are the Wheel of Fortune and Tulip:

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. ~William Arthur Ward

          Watched over by Anubis, the jackal-headed Egyptian god, a blindfolded woman turns the wheel of life. While humans can create change, much of what occurs in our lives is pure happenstance. We may be in the right place at the right time or vice versa. But the treasure to be found in a world of impermanence is the ability to adjust to change - without clinging to what we like or wailing at what we don't but rather accepting and dealing with it. Tulip suggests that there will be a turning toward prosperity or well-being, a welcome respite for the weary. But perhaps the words of Og Mandino should be taken to heart: "I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars." Wisdom and compassion are those stars.


4 comments: