I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, August 28, 2021

An Unfreedom

From the Wayfarer Tarot, the Two of Earth (Pentacles); from the Curious Oracle, the Arch:

...hurrying, multi-tasking, and feeling pressured trigger essentially the same hormonal and neural mechanisms that helped our ancestors run away from charging lions. At the heart of it all there’s an unfreedom: you can feel chained to obligatory tasks. ~Rick Hanson

This fellow is intensely concentrating on keeping the board and rocks balanced on his head. Yet such intensity isn't something that we can keep up over a long period of time. It will eventually begin to take a toll on our well-being, affecting our physical and mental health. While we all have situations when we need to briefly carry a heavier load, we still need to be aware of the rocks we add to our board. The Arch suggests a passage to a new way of thinking and doing, but the gateway may ask us some hard questions:

  • Am I doing something because I care or because I feel guilty if I don't do it?
  • Is there someone else who is abdicating their responsibility that I'm picking up the slack for?
  • Do I think my self-worth comes from how much I do for others?
  • Before I take on a new commitment, do I consider its costs?
  • Am I holding myself to an impossible standard of perfection?
  • Do I say yes because I am trying to get someone to like or include me? 
 Wisdom is choosing a greater happiness over a lesser one. ~Rick Hanson

4 comments:

  1. Those are good questions to ask oneself. I am printing those off an incorporating them into my self-awareness checklist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it ironic that I had to be so much older to become self-aware. They should teach it in school! Hope you are enjoying your break. ❤️

      Delete
  2. and what has he achieved balancing rocks on a board? I like practical exercises :)

    ReplyDelete