I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Do You Hear What I Hear?

From the Victorian Fairy Oracle, the Herald of Winter (Page of Swords); from the Haindl Rune Oracle, Man/Mannaz:


As I drew this Page/Herald this morning, the carol "Do You Hear What I Hear?" came to mind. In this song, what is seen, heard and known is passed along, beginning with the night wind and ending with the king. While obviously a carol, Noël Regney wrote this song as an appeal for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The last stanza has the king proclaiming, "Pray for peace, people everywhere!" The rune Mannaz is generally translated as 'Man' (humankind); the poems suggest its meaning includes both the joy and connection humans feel as well as separation and death. Both of these cards suggest I pay attention beyond my self-absorbed box of desires, worries and resentments. There is joy, warmth and beauty around me, if I would only open my eyes and ears (and mind) to them. Though changeable and impermanent, it would be a shame to miss out on these gifts and wonders. 

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting back-story. The things we can still learn.
    Now I will be singing that song all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered the backstory when I looked up who wrote the song. So much to learn, so little time. :)

      Delete