I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, September 2, 2021

Smirking or Smiling?

From the Hoi Polloi Tarot, the Nine of Cups; from the I Ching Pack, Hexagram 42:

The RWS version of the Nine of Cups, with its over-stuffed, arms crossed fellow, always strikes me as smug contentment rather than authentic joy. With his cups above him like trophies, he seems to be bragging about how much happiness he's accumulated. But I tend to agree with Nietzsche: "The mother of excess is not joy but joylessness." This guy seems to be trying to fill up a hole in his soul rather than fully appreciating his experiences. It's like someone going on an international tour with their focus centered on taking selfies and photos to put on Facebook. There's no need to prove how happy you are; genuine people tend to glow with it. The Hexagram 42 - 'reduction' - gives the example of the mountain shedding its snow and replenishing the lakes below it. Likewise, personal emotional fulfillment often comes when we selflessly give to others, sharing our blessings rather than hoarding or advertising them.

2 comments:

  1. I can't see it without thinking of getting the breast cancer diagnosis and choosing 1/2 empty of 1/2 full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I felt that way with my recent ultrasound.

      Delete