I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 17, 2022

Get Some Sleep

From the Anima Mundi Tarot, the Nine of Swords; from the Nature's Pharmacy deck, Horseradish:


Wyreweden illustrates her Nine of Swords with a turkey vulture, a scavenger that feeds almost exclusively on recently dead carrion. Having a particularly large olfactory lobe, it is able to search high above the treetops by picking up the scent of ethyl mercaptan, a gas produced by the beginnings of decay in dead animals. Likewise, we humans have a tendency to sniff out trouble, even if it is irrelevant or imagined. Horseradish is known for its root, which makes is used to make pungent, eye-watering condiments. Its distinctive taste comes from allyl isothiocyanate (mustard oil), a compound released when the root is crushed. Yet once exposed to air or heat, grated or chopped horseradish loses its pungency. These cards imply that before I spin out about something, I should expose what I'm worried or angry about to a little air and heat (solid evidence). Is this something that actually has to do with me (is it even my business)? Is this in the future, something that may or may not happen, something that I don't have enough information on at present to make a wise judgment on? It would be smarter to let it go and get a good night's sleep.

6 comments:

  1. That's the whole thing. Those what ifs that interfer.e with our sleep

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Anima Mundi deck is one I've never seen. So nice that you post all these different cards! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kate! I allow myself to buy a few new ones when I give away some I'm not attached to very much. :)

      Delete
    2. I stop by more often than you may think. Not only do I draw my own "card of the day," but when I check out your daily draw or Sharyn's or Carolyn's, I think of them as messages for me as well and try to learn something from them. Like bibliomancy, in a way; if I'm here, there's a reason. -Kate

      Delete
    3. In that case, I feel honored. :) I do the same thing when I read other blogs, and I've learned a lot more than just about tarot!

      Delete