I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Healed Pain

From the Rider Marseille Tarot, the King of Pentacles; from the Ostinato Oracle, Repeat:

Impermanence is everywhere we look. We are all going to suffer our losses. How we deal with these losses is what makes all the difference. Can we do so with wisdom? 
 —Lama Surya Das

This King of Pentacles is giving someone a serious glare off to the side. Even the bulls on the top of his throne seem to be watching to see the showdown. It reminds me of when I was informed by the city that through the law of eminent domain, they would be taking part of my backyard in order to pave an alley. There are some losses that, no matter how much we plead, yell or threaten to bonk heads, we have no recourse. We can only grieve and accept these truths with as much dignity as we can muster. The Repeat symbol on the oracle card implies cyclic repetition. We all suffer losses of various degrees throughout our lives, but the small losses can help us learn to deal with the larger ones. It's not an enjoyable practice, but it is a worthwhile one. As Robert G. Lee wrote, “Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain.”

2 comments:

  1. Something difficult, even painful, to cope with is when I have no way of changing a situation I am stuck in. That kills me -- the frustration, the helplessness, the lack of agency. I understand why people strike out, explode, do damage. They don't know what else to do with their feelings when there seems to be no solution. Non-resistance is much harder than it sounds! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anger feels more powerful than grief, and it's as if one is doing something rather than surrendering.

      Delete