I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 17, 2024

The Excitement and Anxiety of Leaving

This week I'll be using Songs for the Journey Home, a deck and book set created and self-published by Catherine Cook and Dwariko von Sommaruga. I'll also be using Stasia Burrington's self-published deck, Magic Neko. Today's draws are Flame Innocence (Page of Wands) and the the King of Spades:

You get a strange feeling when you're about to leave a place...like you'll not only miss the people you love but you'll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you'll never be this way ever again. ― Azar Nafisi

I imagine this girl thinking of leaving middle school for high school, and then possibly going off to college. I remember that mix of excitement about what the world holds and the anxiety of wondering if I had what it takes to succeed. But what I think of most is all the ways my ideas and beliefs were challenged and sometimes changed by being in a new place surrounded by so many people who were different from me. It felt good to stretch and use my wings, and it allowed my mind to develop and expand. The King of Spades represents self-sufficiency. As Michel de Montaigne wrote, "The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself." But part of that ability to know how to do things for oneself, is knowing when to ask for help when you're lost or confused!

3 comments:

  1. The Songs deck is one of my favourites. When it came out they didn’t have the set up for overseas shipping (or something). One of the women from the USA at Aeclectic Tarot, very kindly let us sign up for a deck with her and then she did a bulk order and I’ve always remembered her thoughtfulness, but alas not her name. It’s one of my best decks. I believe Dwariko is dead now, so it’s nice to remember her art and spirit with this deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Judy again. Oh, so many good cards in this deck!

      Delete
    2. It is also one of my favorites! All the images are so lovely. That was a really nice thing the ATer did. I'm glad Tarot, Tea and Me is around, but I miss the AT forum.

      Delete