I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Making a Life

From the Songs for the Journey Home, the Four of Earth Songs (Four of Pentacles); from the Magic Neko Cards, the Ace of Clubs:

Don't let making a living prevent you from making a life.
—John Wooden

My younger years were spent in the care of my elderly grandparents while my mom worked and went to school. They went through the challenges of the Depression, and thus lived by the 'use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without' adage. Thus my spending habits were shaped to be thrifty, but sometimes today that can drift over into the tightfisted category. The fellow in this card is stressing over finances, even though his piggy bank makes it clear he is not facing economic insecurity. The deck's companion book states: "Use the power money has to bring pleasure and satisfaction to your world and to the people who share your life, otherwise your wallet will be full and you heart will be empty." The bees in the Ace of Clubs would buzz their agreement, suggesting I make something sweet with my resources instead of just worrying about them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to make sure that I'm not being cheap, because sometimes I've noticed that I am and didn't realize it, was rationalizing quite selfishly. And I don't want to be that way. I hope to err on the side of generosity ... not only to others, but to myself as well. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice when I'm being tight there's often some underlying anxiety - mostly about something that isn't even real.

      Delete