I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Under the Influence

This week I'll be using the Tarot of the Masters (redrawn classic paintings) created and published by James Ricklef. I'll also be using  a transformation deck called the Key to the Kingdom created by Tony Meeuwissen and published by Running Press. Today's draws are the Queen of Swords and the Four of Hearts:

The truth is that you are responsible for what you think, because it is only at this level that you can exercise choice. What you do comes from what you think.
― Marianne Williamson

This Queen of Swords is based on the painting Lady Macbeth by John Singer Sargent. As Ricklef explains, sometimes there can be a "fine line between ambition and obsession, brilliance and madness." People with great intelligence generally tend to have a way with words, using them as a tool to get what they want. Lady Macbeth knew that as a woman, she could only rise in power through her husband, so she used manipulation and emasculation to motivate him to murder. Shakespeare's play ends with the Lady killing herself and Macbeth (who became something of a tyrant) beheaded. Intelligence needs ethical boundaries. The Four of Hearts is paired with this verse:

A man in the wilderness asked of me,
How many strawberries grow in the sea.
I answered him, as I thought good,
As many red herrings swim in the wood.

Motives, when under the influence of greed or anger, have a way of dismantling common sense. 

4 comments:

  1. I have and love those playing cards—I like these 2 decks together. James’s deck was OOP and I was never able to get a copy but I have 2 of his books on my Kindle. He has such a fresh way of looking at things. I wish people today had his knowledge and ability. (Judy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricklef is a sharp cookie. I first discovered him when I bought his book "Tarot Tells the Tale."

      Delete
  2. Definitely sharp, I greatly respect his insight and experience. I forgot I had another of his books, so the 3 I have are: 1) The Soul’s Journey 2) Pithy Tarot 3) Tarot Spreads. I don’t use spreads much, but the other two are great. He used to do the Pithy Tarot blurbs on his blog. Talking about him makes me sad, so few today have his depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot I have his Pithy Tarot on Kindle! I used it a lot when my mind was a blank; it gave me a lot of insights and jumping off points to get the gears turning. :)

      Delete