I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

All My Relations

From the Buckland Romani Tarot comes the Five of Chivs (Swords):
Two men lay down their knives, walking away from a fight they have lost, while the winner smirks as he watches them retreat.  Many readers see the Sword suit as representing ideas and thoughts, but for me, it can also represent the words used to express them.  I wonder how long it will take before the victor realizes that what's been done and said can't be undone; he may have won the battle, but he has lost something much more important in the process - integrity and respect.  I was not happy to see the Five of Swords this morning after running from crisis to crisis yesterday with a metaphorical first aid kit and fire extinguisher; today my nerves are frayed.  In this condition, its easy to let my emotions do the talking before my brain catches up.  There is a thin gossamer thread that my equanimity is hanging from, and one quick slice can sever it.  Perhaps I should take that red bandana around that fellow's neck and stuff it in my mouth just in case...

The card drawn from the Lakota Sweat Lodge is "Buffalo Nation: Man - Tatanka Oyate:"
The Lakota were called the Buffalo Nation because of their relationship with the animal.  They depended on the buffalo for their survival, not wasting any part of it.  They were grateful for the herds, and realized they must not kill them indiscriminately.  If the people were to thrive, then the buffalo must thrive as well.  Last night I got a call from a woman who asked me who I voted for in the Presidential election.  I responded that I chose the man I thought would take care of all America, not just a part of it; who realized that our country would become strong and healthy again if everyone benefited, not just a few.  It is easy to let this philosophy slip my mind in my day-to-day interactions.  But truly, Mitakuye Oyasin - we are all related.


No comments:

Post a Comment