I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Power that Pulls the Load

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, the Nine of Koros (Cups):
This young fellow places dairy cans on his wagon, and it appears he has a full load.  What I don't see, however, is a horse, truck or tractor to pull the wagon.  Will he be the power that pulls the load?  I am reminded by this card that relying on other people, places or things to bring me happiness will end in disappointment every time.  Either I'll get what I want briefly only to find it doesn't last, or things won't go as I expect them to and I'll be frustrated.  The power of happiness lies within me, not "out there" waiting for me to purchase it or make its acquaintance.

From the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards comes the "Fire Pit - Pita Hochokan:"
The fire pit is used to heat the stones that are used in the sweat lodge ceremony.  Water is poured over them inside the lodge, releasing their heat and steam.  The Fire Pit teaches about motivation - what inspires and prompts me to take action.  I have been studying the Bhagavad Gita for the past several weeks, and one of the messages repeated over and over is not to base what I do or don't do on the fruit I think will result.  Instead, I should take selfless action (what will benefit others rather than only me) without attachments or expectations.  Simple to grasp, but hard to put into practice...


2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my last post on my quilting blog, about the epiphany which occurred when I read the words "Staying detached from the outcome creates enough sacred space for an original solution to magically unfold". Life changer when you think about it. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if I can just figure out how to attach myself to detachment... Got any velcro? :D

      Delete