I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, November 23, 2012

Fairytale Assumptions

From the Fairytale Tarot, the Six of Coins:
The tale of the Golden Goose reaffirms the adage that "generosity has its own rewards."  A village learns the hard way that selfishness and appropriation without consent has consequences.  The boy who was thought to be simple and foolish, on the other hand,  is the one repaid for his kindness and openhandedness.  This card made me focus on a mindset I often find myself stuck in when I need assistance.  I mistakenly assume other people should somehow know what I need without my asking them.  The charitable assumption would be that they are doing the best they can handling their own worries, and if I need their help I am going to have to ask for it directly.  Nine times out of ten I'll get the support needed when I request it without having to worry about a lingering resentment later.

From the Tao Oracle comes "Peace:"
This is a scene that makes me sigh and wish I was there.  Lately I've been on an emotional see-saw, sliding from one end to the other, wishing I could just stay in the balanced center forever.  In her book, Ma Deva Padma writes: "the child in us wants to believe that everything is finally as it's supposed to be and should stay that way forever, as in a fairy tale.  But nothing stays the same forever; life is an ongoing journey..."  I need to let go of things I can't control, stop obsessing over the details, and embrace the big picture.  Nothing lasts forever, regardless of any "good" or "bad" label I put on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment