I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 12, 2012

Making New Memories

From Deirdre of the Sorrows, the Three of Swords:
The truth might set you free, but first it usually hurts like hell.  In this image are two women hurting, one who's been in denial and the other who's been completely unaware of an ongoing situation.  The woman in the foreground has had an affair with a married man, thinking he would leave his wife for her.  The woman against the wall with her child has just discovered her husband's unfaithfulness.  And the man?  He's headed down the road, leaving chaos in his wake, with only concern for himself.  It would be pointless to try to tell either of these women that they are better off without him; they must first grieve their loss, then hopefully they can move on and make better choices in the future.

From the Victorian Flower Oracle comes "Orange Flower:"
The creators give this flower the keyword "memories," very appropriate as the sense of smell is intricately tied to memory.  In pairing this meaning with the card above, it reminds me how telling the "story" of my pain over and over, whether to others or in my head, can bind me to that heartache.  Instead of moving forward with my life, I become chained to the past.  I don't think I need to completely forget the pain - remembering consequences can help me make better choices - but I need to focus on making new memories too.

2 comments:

  1. And don't forget the power of a prayer stick for removing that 'gotta sick it up again' cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still in awe at the power behind that simple stick!

      Delete