I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 8, 2018

Don't Fear the Messenger

From the Hezicos Tarot, the Star; from the Way of the Horse Oracle, 'Eye of the Storm:'
          The Star card comes right after the head-slap from the Tower that wakes us from our fantasy. I often think those two streams of water represent what I wanted my life to look like and what my life actually looks like. Can I blend them into accepting where I stand right now? I doubt life will ever look like my favorite daydream, and that's okay. The goal is to stay awake rather than build another tower. In the words of Prince, "Dearly beloved, we have gathered here today to get through this thing called life." Hopefully between my spiritual tools and my tribe, I will be reminded that life includes joy as well as struggle. The Eye of the Storm card represents those emotional surges that can knock the Star maiden back on her bum. The companion book describes the 'gift' of this card: "When you learn to use emotion as information, you no longer panic in response to strong feelings." After going through one harrowing experience, any surge is likely to be met by freaking out, shutting down or fleeing (often through distractions or addictions). But what if I stood my ground to find out what the message was instead? I have a new-ish car that has lots of dashboard lights, most of which I have no idea about their meaning. On a trip the 'service' light came on, which gave my emotions something to bounce on. But I decided to investigate rather than panic; after reading the car manual, I figured out that it was just time for an oil change. Nothing to worry about, just a reminder. My emotions are meant to get my (often very busy) attention; my feelings aren't meant to be feared.  

4 comments:

  1. I really like that analogy of the two streams, one being the life we have and the other the one we imagine. A thought that had not occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys get what's in my headspace when I read the cards. :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's really easy for me to rely on the familiar way of doing things rather than choosing a more helpful way to respond.

      Delete