I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Road to the River

From the Tarot of the Crone, the Seven of Disks; from Transforming Dragons, 'Fluc:'
Well I might have gone fishing 
I got to thinking it over
The road to the river is a mighty long way
~ Willie Nelson 
          The generations that came after the Depression Era all seem to have one thing in common when it comes to reaching goals - impatience. Perhaps it's technology that makes us think things should occur in a hurry. However we can't rush the natural flow of life. Yet the Crone's companion book offers some wisdom: "Every turn of the road brings discovery." If we could just pause along the way and pay attention to what's around us, there's no telling what wonders we might find. On the other hand, if we focus only on our destination rather than where our feet are, we're likely to become frustrated by our progress. The dragon Fluc represents rage; he is often at the root of much of our suffering. When this kind of anger is unleashed, it might appear to speed things up. But I've noticed it tends to create resentment, often resulting in a passive-aggressive reflex by the folks who felt the brunt of the rage. They may intentionally produce more obstacles and detours as pay-back. If I can't communicate in a calm, rational way, then I'm going to be the major cause of my lack of movement. The road to the river is going to get even longer.

2 comments:

  1. That Seven of Disks made me hear the Beatles song "The Long and Winding Road." I stopped and read a bit of information on it. Paul McCartney wrote it in his Scottish Highlands retreat, and the road was winding and the Beatles were beginning to disband; so he put his misery, frustration, and anguish into the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that - thank you for that interesting bit of trivia!

      Delete