I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Deepening not Hiding

From the Osho Zen Tarot, Transformation (Death); from the A'HA Oracle, 'Cocoon:'
           In Buddhism, impermanence (changing moment to moment) is the path; practice is a way to acknowledge and accept it with equanimity. It involves fully embracing it not only with the intellect but the heart as well. Yet we become attached to what we love, and suffer when it ends. It seems unfair that death or an end should come to the things or people we hold dear. The Cocoon card implies that we should somehow protect ourselves. Does this mean we are supposed to attempt to shut down our emotions or our mind? Walling ourselves off from reality - emotionally, mentally or physically - won't make it unreal. Norman Fischer explains: " I have experienced extreme sadness and loss, feeling the whole world weeping and dark with the fresh absence of someone I love. At the same time I have felt some appreciation and equanimity, because loss, searing as it can be, is also beautiful—sad and beautiful. My tears, my sadness, are beautiful because they are the consequence of love, and my grieving makes me love the world and life all the more. Every loss I have ever experienced, every personal and emotional teaching of impermanence that life has been kind enough to offer me, has deepened my ability to love."

“The Thing Is”

to love life, to love it even
when you have no stomach for it
and everything you’ve held dear
crumbles like burnt paper in your hands,
your throat filled with the silt of it.
When grief sits with you, its tropical heat
thickening the air, heavy as water
more fit for gills than lungs;
when grief weights you like your own flesh
only more of it, an obesity of grief,
you think, How can a body withstand this?
Then you hold life like a face
between your palms, a plain face,
no charming smile, no violet eyes,
and you say, yes, I will take you
I will love you, again.

~ Ellen Bass


4 comments:

  1. I'd take Mr. Fischer with a pound of salt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His is a Zen perspective. :) Not easy to chew and swallow, but it has helped me crawl out of some dark holes.

      Delete
  2. We both drew Transformation cards today. Yours much more insightful, me all about the easy way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our different takes may have had more to do with the different artwork than my insightfulness. :)

      Delete