I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Emotional Awareness

From the Osho Zen Tarot, Understanding (Page of Cups); from the A'HA Oracle, the 'Bell:'
          The bars on this bird's cage are disappearing; they represent a new understanding that brings freedom. What is it this Page has learned about emotions? Probably that they're an inherent part of humans and aren't evil in and of themselves. They are morally neutral until we act on them. The other part of this Page's insight is that our feelings aren't solid. I've been reading Dr. Beth Jacob's book, Writing for Emotional Balance in which she states that emotions change with time (our fast heartbeat slows, our stomachs relax) and with a change in viewpoint (rather than ruminating on our mental narrative). But how do we keep our feelings in neutral instead of stomping on the gas and reacting? The Bell card is a reminder of awareness, asking me "Do you know in what direction your attention has wandered off?" I can't stop my emotions any more than I can stop breathing, but I can be mindful of their transient nature and change channels when my thoughts start chewing the same idea over and over.
Just watch how your mind perceives or interprets any object that it contacts; what feeling—comfortable or uncomfortable—arises. Then you check: When I perceive this kind of view, this feeling arises, that emotion comes, I discriminate in such a way. This is how to check the mind; that’s all. It’s very simple. ~Lama Thubten Yeshe


4 comments:

  1. talking myself off the ledge of a year of black rage, took another year, training myself to stop the loop. Wouldn't have worked if I hadn't been on top of it every day. A different form of immersion really. All I remember now is who triggered it. and don't care All good fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Training is a good word for it. It requires a lot of effort to change our habitual emotional reactions. But it's worth it.

      Delete
  2. "ask not for whom the bell toll, it tolls for thee" - John Donne
    I hope your trip today is all well and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete