I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Relax the Reins

From the Hezicos Tarot, the Devil; from the Way of the Horse Oracle, 'Dominance:'
          The Devil represents an unhealthy, unskillful attempt to feel differently and avoid what is unpleasant. Have you lost control over a situation or group that you're supposed to be managing? Try a little rage. Feel hopeless and depressed? A pint of ice cream with a thick slice of cake might help. Frustrated about your job and boss? There's a bottle of vodka with your name on it. Now of course these 'fixes' are just an illusion. Nothing gets better (at least in the long run) when we resort to such solutions, and we often feel shame about them later. Yet a much bigger problem comes when we continue to repeat and reinforce this behavior. The result is a habit or addiction that makes us feel even more powerless. The Dominance card shows a horse whose rider is pulling too hard on the reins, creating strain in the horse's neck and pain from the bit in his mouth. I've seen riders do this who are frightened; their fear makes them want to over-control the horse. The more unhappy the horse becomes, the tighter the panicked rider pulls on the reins. Both these cards remind me there are parts of life I just can't control no matter how much I try. I'd do better to heed the words of Marcus Aurelius: "You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength."
I've got a crew coming to rip out and replace all the windows in my house today that have been painted shut over the last 50+ years (and I have to be here along with the cats). Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case I don't get a chance to reply to any comments or visit your blog today. :)

4 comments:

  1. Addictions - The Devil made me do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. of you completeness-ist. We've been 10 years on ours, just getting the last six in the front done last fall. I love mine, I'll bet you will love yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great. Gives the house an updated look, let's in more light and much more energy efficient. The felines are still recovering though! :)

      Delete