I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, August 16, 2018

A Working Compass

From the Druidcraft Tarot, the Eight of Cups; from the Druid Plant Oracle, 'Juniper:'
          One meaning for this card is searching for a higher purpose. We did an exercise in our book club a few weeks ago where we mapped (and explained) our spiritual journey so far. I was surprised to find that once I started questioning childhood beliefs, I spent many years as a firm disbeliever who simply avoided anything or anyone that did. Eventually, I did stretch out some tendrils to investigate other frameworks and philosophies, but I now realize most of that effort was primarily about spiritual materialism - what makes my ego feel good - than any spiritual work. I've since put down roots in Buddhism, and part of what I find useful is the 5 Precepts as a way to navigate my day. I have encouraged a few friends to come up with their own spiritual precepts (daily intentions) based on their personal core values. Juniper is associated with clearing away, and the booklet gives the phrase: "Before you can welcome something new, you need to say goodbye to something that needs release." I couldn't stop wandering without direction until I let go of the resentments I had toward my childhood religion. Then I could employ a compass that actually pointed me toward something.

11 comments:

  1. What a great lesson/exercise, mapping our spiritual journey. Intriguing and something I going to give some of my classroom time to review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an eye-opening experience for me!

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't know where to begin. any particular book? As a Julia Cameron exercise I once mapped my life in 5 year increments. Too bad it is on a floppy disk.

      Delete
    3. Go with your memory:
      1) Where did you learn your spiritual values and beliefs as a child?
      2) When and why did you start to rethink some of the beliefs and values?
      3) What did you explore? What did you (purposefully) ignore?
      4) What are your current core values that guide your life?

      Delete
    4. I am ready to begin a journal on this. I was born into a dysfunctional Catholic family, went to Catholic grade-school. I remember in a 2nd grade religion class listening to a nun and thinking, nope I am not doing that again. I am absolutely sure that I was a nun in one of my previous lives. 2nd grade, is when I started to question the Church.

      Delete
    5. Once we begin to question what we've been taught, our 'map' grows ever larger. :) Hope you gets some insights from the journaling exercise!

      Delete
  2. today's second sidetrack, uses for juniper. Who knew? The first was how US voting % vs. all the outer countries who vote. Call me at 9 PM and ask me what I learned today. Blank. Big shiny ball, no divots of learning at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post Bev. Thoughtful and insightful. I copied these questions down for my own reference.

    My own life long spiritual journey has been the most important and compelling thing in life, which continues from day to day. From an early age I was aware of "the other". I'm so very grateful my late mother imparted her faith to me, not one that was a rigid religion based on power and control, but gave me a spiritual freedom that enabled me to find my own path without ever being judged.

    Thank you for your post Bev <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving you the freedom to find your own spiritual path was indeed a great gift. Trying desperately to believe something that you don't believe never works out well.

      Delete
    2. Be you're so right. I've known a lot of 'recovering Catholics', Sadly many who have experienced abuse of power and control in the name of God in religion opt out completely from any kind of spiritual journey.

      Delete