I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, August 27, 2018

Ecstatic Dance

From the Restored Order Tarot, the Universe; from the Kabbalah Oracle, 'Yod/Yud:'
          The dancer in the Universe card holds a rod of dead wood in one hand and a live snake in the other. I've collected a lot of spiritual knowledge and done a variety of spiritual practices in the decades I've been alive. Yet it is all dead wood if my ego smugly carries it around rather than uses it to transform my thoughts and actions. Kindness, wisdom, and compassion only become real when they are manifested. This is the portal the dancer must pass through. Yud is the smallest letter in the Hebrew alphabet, yet it forms some of the mightiest words. It signifies the kind of humility Rumi speaks of:
I am so small I can barely be seen.
How can this great love be inside of me?
Look at your eyes. They are small,
but they see enormous things.

This is the humility born of wonder and gratitude. The love that empowers it is like a candle in the darkness, transforming whatever it encounters. It is the spiritual dance.

6 comments:

  1. The World Dancer looks to be looking at the bright light on the other card. Yet another new practice to bring enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Focusing more on the light than the darkness would probably be good for everyone in these trying times.

      Delete
  2. Any post with a Rumi poem is a delight ;) It's funny, your thoughts on the dead wood staff made me think about a couple of crystal balls I've had for maybe a decade. Just in the last few days, I picked them up again for the first time in five years or more and bam, amazing meditations/visualisations. For me, it's not just about humility, it's also about timing and openness. I think there's some of that in wisdom and compassion - sometimes it takes a bit of time for us to be open to manifesting those, especially towards a 'difficult' individual :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can have all the knowledge in the world and a caring personality, but until we have that openness you referred to (of mind and heart), those qualities never mature into wisdom and compassion. And I agree that timing definitely plays a part too. Good to hear from you, Chloe!

      Delete
    2. I know, I've been rather absent. Got three big deadlines between now and 20th September. After that, I plan to binge read tarot blogs for a week! :D

      Delete
    3. May you meet them with grace and equanimity (and a dash of creative flair)!

      Delete