I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Living with Loss

From the Tyldwick Tarot, the Three of Swords; from the Antiquarian Lenormand, the 'Key:'
If no one will listen to my sad story, I can tell it to myself in my head, over and over, and feel sorry for myself, and so have an identity as someone who is being treated unfairly by life or other people, fate or God. It gives definition to my self-image, makes me into someone, and that is all that matters to the ego. Eckhart Tolle 

At first glance, this might look like a nice stone cottage, but look closer and you will notice the window has been bricked up. It is normal to love and then grieve when we lose what we love, yet that grief can consume us and become an identity we take on. When life consists of nothing more than our cloak of self-pity, we imprison our mind and heart. It offers self-indulgence but no lasting comfort. The Lenormand Key suggests there is a solution that will offer a breakthrough, an epiphany that will bring in some much-needed light. Part of that realization is understanding we have abandoned our power to choose and take responsibility for our own life. When we accept our power, we will see the wisdom in the words of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross: "Acceptance is not about liking a situation. It is about acknowledging all that has been lost and learning to live with that loss." Sounds like my 2019 word of the year - resilience.


2 comments:

  1. That Three of Swords with its bricked windows reminds of the Five of Pentacles image in Rider Tarot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me think of it too, though I suppose in this case the pain is secondary (mental) rather than primary (physical).

      Delete