I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 29, 2020

River of Thoughts

From the Albano-Waite Tarot, the Five of Cups; from the Rumi Cards, the 'Ordeal of exile:'

          I'm in sync with this fellow today. Our temperature is supposed to hit 86F by lunch, and our air conditioning has quit working. The heavy pollen and dust (no rain in many days) keep us from opening the windows. Can you hear me heaving a deep sigh? But wait... we have running water and electricity in a home with food and other luxuries. The river in this card reminds me of the default mode network in the mind; when we aren't focused on a task, it kicks in. But whether the mind flows with positive, uplifting thoughts or negative, woeful ones depends on our pattern of thinking in the past - the habits of mind we've nurtured. But now, at this moment, I have a chance to start cleaning up my river by where I place my attention. The Rumi card suggests that ordeals and hardships we face can rekindle our gratitude for what we've taken for granted. Instead of sighing in frustration, I can focus on what it will feel like when our unit is repaired.

All mental and emotional patterns eventually fall apart and dissolve in the light of awareness.
—Hanuman Goleman

4 comments:

  1. oh that default mad monkey... we have lots of food, but I've noticed Rob is defaulting to comfort food meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That monkey is always gibbering, shrieking and jumping from branch to branch. I just have to wave at it and go on to my next task.

      Delete
  2. Hopeful you get a ac tech out there soon. It just gets warmer from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's arrived. Now we're hoping the cost to repair it won't be prohibitive. 😊

      Delete