I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 8, 2020

Primary vs. Secondary

From the Gaian Tarot, the Five of Earth (Pentacles); from the Goddess Oracle, Amaterasu:

          When my body is sick or in pain, it's easy to feel angry, as if it has betrayed me in some way. My aches or illness can become my sole identity, constricting my world view into a dense ball of negativity. Such a defensive tactic only serves to add secondary pain to my primary pain, causing much more harm than help. What if I treated my body with the same compassion I would have for a sick or injured pet or child? I could pay attention to the pain without the storyline attached to it. Amaterasu, the Japanese goddess of the sun, represents illumination, order (night to day), and nourishment (photosynthesis). She might suggest I lighten my load by acknowledging what is good and beautiful in my world. In fact, being outside and paying attention to more than just my problems might be just the nourishment I need.

Primary pain arises from illness, injury, or damage to the body or nervous system. You could see it as the raw information sent by the body to the brain. Secondary pain is the mind’s reaction to primary pain but is often far more intense and long-lasting. Crucially, it is controlled by an "amplifier" in the brain that governs the overall intensity of suffering. ~Danny Penman

6 comments:

  1. Pain can really wear on you when you live with its challenges everyday. When I start to slip into pity mode, I remind myself of the blessing of the pain, it reminds me I can still walk, and get up and about, even when in discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People could learn from you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have pain. That is part of life. Might as well accept and go on. Both of you have worked through pain and trials and tribulation. And we go on.

    ReplyDelete