I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, August 24, 2020

Mosquito Bite

From the Swietlistej Drogi Tarot, the Five of Pentacles; from the Mirrors of the Heart, Steadfastness:


          This unusual Five of Pentacles shows a woman leaving behind her treasures rather than desperately seeking them. Who on earth would be willing to give up the things that seemingly make their life stable and secure? People who are depressed and suicidal. I surprised myself by googling 'reasons I should stay alive' last night. I guess I didn't realize how easy it is to slide into the dark and yearn for something lighter. Yet I also remember the words of Sean Dietrich: "The weird thing about depression is that it’s like a mosquito bite that infects you with yellow fever. On the surface it’s a little swollen area. No big deal. It’s just a tiny bite. Suck it up cupcake. But underneath the skin it’s Hiroshima. And yellow fever doesn’t just go away until it’s done some damage." The sturdy dolmen on the Steadfastness card encourages me to ground myself and hang in there. Part of Sean's advice includes to tell someone, say out loud what you feel. Words have power; those left unspoken can fester but those expressed can act as a medicine.



2 comments:

  1. The human body requires homeostasis. There is a part of us that knows the baseline has been breached. A drip becomes a trickle, then a thin stream and if not secured the breach happens and it becomes overwhelming. If needed reach out, help is always there/here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. It is always easier to offer help than receive it. Admitting it out loud seems to take some of the power out of the feeling.

      Delete