I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 30, 2020

Fair or Unfair

From the Stone Tarot, Justice; from the Buddhist Quote Cards, Dhammapada 26:390:

I am not blind
you are blind
~
Which scares you more
to believe that life is unfair
or to believe that life is fair?
-Alison Stone

          I've begun to realize that causing pain when I've been hurt doesn't make my own go away. That nurturing a resentment doesn't change history and revenge doesn't heal my heart. Yet I can hold someone accountable for their actions and refuse to enable them to take advantage of others. In the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "I came to the conclusion that there is an existential moment in your life when you must decide to speak for yourself; nobody else can speak for you." The quote from the Dhammapada is a reminder not to unintentionally tilt those scales in the other direction while seeking justice: "Whenever one turns away from the intent to harm, suffering is allayed." [The suffering it alludes to is our own.]


No comments:

Post a Comment