I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 2, 2020

Be the Soil

From the Brady Tarot, the Six of Horns (Cups); from the Holitzka I Ching, Hexagram 1:

          Do you remember the last time you had a belly laugh or played just for the sheer joy of it? It seems happiness has been a struggle for many people lately (for good reason). However, it also might be because we look on happiness as a destination we reach when our train pulls into the station - when the right candidate is elected, when the check comes in the mail, etc. Once it leaves again, we feel empty. But that's actually a misunderstanding; our 'train' is where we'll find joy, not the station. Every moment we can choose to be content or discontent if we take the time to check the labels and stories we're wrapping around it. Hexagram One is often called The Receptive or The Creative, which suggests a creative force that works with what it receives. It is akin to a seed that falls to the ground, and the soil that nourishes it regardless of what type of seed it is. In the words of Thich Nhat Hanh, "If you are aware that you are alive, that you have twenty-four hours to create new joy, this would be enough to make yourself happy and the people around you happy." 


4 comments:

  1. Watching otters would open a window of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long while since I've seen some, but they are cute!

      Delete
  2. lovely post. I am nourished by what I feed upon. Knowing that is part of what makes me so ruthless I think. I can't specifically remember my last belly laugh, but I expect it was reaction to something Rob said, he is a very funny guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have such a husband! Mine is currently dealing with depression, so not much laughter here.

      Delete