I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Extremes have Similar Effects

From the Sheridan Douglas Tarot, Temperance:
Temperance points to thinking and behavior that is on the outer edge - an "all or nothing" attitude.  The heat of the volcano and the brightness of the sun contrast with the coolness of the water and the darkness of the earth in this illustration.  On which end of the continuum do I find myself?  The Greek word for "rainbow" was iris, and for them these flowers represented a bridge between heaven and earth.  Used in the image above, they remind me to look for a more balanced perspective and choose a less extreme approach.  If I can stand more in the middle than on the edge, I am more likely to see the strengths and weaknesses of both sides.  As George Chapman once said, "Extremes, though contrary, have the like effects," none of which are usually beneficial in the long run.

From the Pages of Shustah deck comes the "Little Fool:"
The Little Fool encourages me to go into a situation with a sense of wonder rather than cynicism, with an open mind rather than with an agenda.  Experience can be a great teacher but only if I allow it to teach; if my mind is already set in concrete, no new knowledge or wisdom has a chance of penetrating.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of primary colors this week. You need to spend some time with Pearls ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I almost needed sunglasses this morning. :) I tried Pearls of Wisdom when it first came out, but it was just so dang busy it drove me to distraction. Maybe I'll have another look at it one day though...

      Delete