I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Horse Before the Cart

From the Ship of Fools Tarot, the Two of Staves (Wands):
Because I generally read the Two of Wands as making a decision whether to try something new or stick with the tried and true, I found this image a bit unusual.  In the deck's companion book it explains the proverb with the original image said, "He tries to put the sow in the kettle before she's dead."  In other words, putting the horse before the cart.  I've been in that place many times when I had something new I wanted to do or create, and I would be in a huge rush to get started.  It's like getting one of those disassembled pieces of furniture that must be put together and deciding you don't need to bother reading the directions first.  This card encourages me to take care of all the little details beforehand, because doing so will save me time in the long run.

From the Wisdom of the Four Winds deck comes the West Guardian, the "Mantis:"
I used to see lots of these insects years ago, but I haven't seen one lately in quite a while.  I imagine it has something to do with the farmers spraying the fields with tons of pesticides; they kill the pests but also the good bugs too.  The author associates the mantis with discernment, the ability to mentally distinguish the difference between one thing and another - such as the pros and cons of pesticide use.  I have a feeling the Two of Wands and Mantis combination indicates that taking the time to prepare (before I jump in with both feet) can give me time for contemplation.  Am I truly committed to the task at hand?  What is my ultimate goal?  Is there a better way of accomplishing my purpose? 


No comments:

Post a Comment