I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Into the Darkness

From the Rosetta Tarot, the Hanged Man:
The Hanged Man is associated with the Hebrew letter Mem ("water"), a symbol of the fountain of  Divine Wisdom.  The man's relaxed posture into this stream reminds me of "tubing" as a kid, when we would float on tire inner tubes down a river, letting the current carry us along.  Meleen describes this card as the "descent of light into the darkness," bringing to mind camping at night in a forest and relying on a flashlight to find my way around.  This man's fingers have become roots, willingly plunging into the dark earth.  The "dark night of the soul" occurs when I find myself overwhelmed, confused and helpless to change what is going on.   Only when I give up my need for control and detach from my emotional need to do something about everything (see the heart-shaped beehive?) will my flashlight click on.  Relax, breathe, pay attention...

From the Ascension to Paradise deck this morning comes the "Skua:"
Skuas are gull-like birds of the polar regions and nearby continents.  They are strong, acrobatic flyers and generally have aggressive dispositions.  Skuas are often called avian pirates because of their habit of stealing food caught by other birds.  They strike by attacking in midair and forcing their victims to drop their kills in flight.  I don't think it's a coincidence that this image shows an eclipse, and the tarot card above referred to a plunge into darkness.  The Skua pushes me to look at the way I may be trying to force my will on people or situations.  I have no right to "steal" their freedom to make their own decisions.  Goodness knows I have enough of my own to make.
    

1 comment:

  1. By the same token, pleasure and joy take absolutely nothing away from anyone else. Guilt is ego laughing at us...
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete