I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, April 15, 2013

Neither Seen nor Heard

From the Medieval Tarot, the Four of Swords:
While I agree with Donne that no man is an island, occasionally the escape of being alone on one sure would be nice.  And this fellow, gazing across the water, is doing what I do when I want to escape - read.  The message of this card is to remove oneself from all the swirling opinions, "shoulds," and even the creative ideas I want to put into motion in order to give my mind a rest.  Funny how I never think twice about allowing my body time to rest each night, but I expect my mind to constantly keep coming up with strategies, timetables and solutions.  With all the stuff I'm constantly cramming in my brain, intentionally and unintentionally, no wonder it needs a time out to keep me sane and serene.

From the Tea Leaf Fortune Cards comes "Owl:"
The owl is built to be neither seen nor heard.  The edges of its primary feathers are fringed or comb-like, muffling the sound of the air rushing over the wing surface.  The color and pattern of their feathers also allow them to blend in to the surroundings.  When startled from sleep, owls will stand as tall as possible and close their eyes to only slits.  Standing so still, they can blend into the tree branches and escape notice.  Owl reminds me that it is not only my own thoughts I need to take a rest from, but also those of others.  Now where did I put my camouflage pants and shirt...

2 comments:

  1. I'll keep watching this week, but I think your tarot deck has tickled me enough to seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well let me help you out:
    http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=79&lang=en&detail=true&Category=13&ArtID=28
    $29.50 isn't bad for a self-published deck, plus he has a supplier here in the States so you get Priority shipping at a decent rate.

    ReplyDelete