I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Consider the Cost

  From the Tarot of Timeless Truth, the Seven of Cups:
TTT7Cups
This card is generally about making choices concerning what will help me find fulfillment.  After a stressful, sleepless night, my first thought would be to choose the cup that holds a sleeping pill that would knock me out for about 24 hours.  But I realize this solution wouldn't solve my problems, it would just keep me from dealing with them.  Vey, in her companion book, says to "consider the cost" when making such a decision.  Will it affect my integrity, health, relationships, or peace of mind?  I know those short-term bandaids will not heal the gaping wounds underneath.  I'm going to have to do some work with the spiritual tools I have, which means I'm in this for the long haul.

     From the Rune Cards comes "Beaver (Ior):"
RuneBeaver
Ior is a river fish and yet it always feeds on land;
it has a fair abode encompassed by water, where it lives in happiness.
~ Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem
The beaver is known for its industriousness in building a sturdy home with constant vigilance to keep it in good shape.  The lodge is built in rivers with an underwater entrance; the den inside is above the water line and has two sections, one for drying off and one for a living area.  This card reminds me that everyone needs a place where they can relax, feel secure, and find comfort.  Such a shelter can allow me the time to rest and regain my strength so I can better weather the storms outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment