I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, August 4, 2012

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

This week I'll be using the Cosmic Tarot created by Norbert Losche with a companion book by Jean Huets.  Today's draw is "Strength:"
CTStrenght
The smoking volcano in the background of this image points to simmering conflict that could lead to a few harmless clouds of smoke or an explosion with terrible consequences.  The woman wears no clothes, only using a cloth imprinted with the face of a lion to shield herself.  Her nakedness implies she will use no physical, emotional or mental tactics to try to harm or destroy her challenger.  The strength that comes from honesty, patience, tolerance and compassion will be her only weapons.  The white lily beside her emphasizes that her motives are pure.  This card reminds me that there are many ways to be courageous, and violence (whether with words or fists) does not have to be the only option.

     The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the L'Oeil de Lotus (Eye of the Lotus) by Colette and Gerard Lougarre.  This morning's card is "Encounter:"
LL41
A man and woman shake hands across the two halves of a yin-yang symbol, suggesting a balance and harmony of opposites.  The implication is that people or groups who have different views can work together as long as one does not feel "above" the other - there is a respectful partnership.  Last month I got an email about a drum circle that was beginning downtown for all who were interested.  The memo said to bring whatever percussion instrument you wanted, and gave the time to show up at a park by the river.  I took my bodhran, as that is what I'm most comfortable with, but the leader made a bit of a joke about it (all the rest of the drummers had djembes).  His style was quite different from what I am used to; the other drum circle facilitators I have been associated with have been women - both trained in this sort of thing.  This fellow wanted to tell us exactly the rhythm we were to play, rather than starting a rhythm and allowing everyone to join in as the music moved them.  It seemed we were playing background music to his drum solo.  But I told my ego not to prejudge the guy, to instead support the community effort he was making.  But through the evening, he made four subtle, racial comments to me.  At first I thought it was just a bad joke that I had misunderstood.  But as the little jabs continued, I realized that there was indeed an issue.  I have no doubt that I have much to learn from everyone, but I feel I have the right to respect regardless of who is the teacher and who is the student.  Tonight is the second meeting of this drum circle, and though I love drumming with others, I won't be attending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment