I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Keep the Lantern Burning

    From the Wildwood Tarot, the Eight of Arrows (Swords):
WT8Sw
In deep snow against a piercing wind, a person travels on foot.  The arrows that surround him/her represent the fearful thoughts that are worse than the bitter elements he/she struggles against: "What if...."  "How will I..."  Those questions swirl about, making him/her feel besieged on all sides.  The good news is this traveler is moving and has a lantern - he/she refuses to be stuck in this mental box and is being guided by the light within.  Giving up is not an option.  As Robert Frost so elegantly described:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

     From the Shaman's Oracle comes the "Shaman of Loss:"
SOShL
The shaman in this cave art symbolizes the paradox that losing is finding.  His shield with a spiral indicates the constant flux and movement in life.  It does not surprise me that I've drawn these two cards today.  In the past week or so I've been worried about several friends and family members who are dealing with serious physical and emotional health issues, as well as one friend whose personal safety has been compromised.  I have done what I can, though my efforts seem pitifully small compared to the problems facing these people.  I'll just keep holding the lantern high, looking for any sign of the next step I should take on the path...

No comments:

Post a Comment