I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Egoism and Expertise

From the Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot, the Five of Wands:
Whether discussing religion, politics, or simply the best way to get from point "A" to point "Z," everyone has an opinion about something.  I just witnessed a guy "sharing" his opinion with a group; not only did he state it, he drove it home with a sledgehammer and then poured three feet of concrete over it.  It's hard to have a discussion with folks like that, because they're only interested in speaking and not listening.  I tend to be more of a peacemaker than a fire-starter, but give me a topic I think I know something about and feel passionately toward, and I can be as stubborn as a dog with his favorite chew toy.  Sometimes I must stop and ask myself, "How important is this?  Will my refusal to be flexible change anything?"

From the Archetype Cards comes the "Dilettante:"
I would describe myself as a Jane-of-all-trades who is master of none.  I could build a nice bookshelf, but you wouldn't want me to add an addition to your home.  This card reminds me of two things.  The first is not to let my ego convince me that I'm an expert in something when I'm not (having firm opinions is not the same as legitimate training).  The second is to question why I don't follow up on some of my skills to improve on them.  Do I fear that I'll not be up to the task?



1 comment: