I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, February 18, 2013

Sink or Swim

From the Neuzeit Tarot, the Two of Swords:
Two swords, one topped with a moon and one with a sun, point toward water below.  The left side of the water is choppy while the right side is smoother with undulations.  Everything about this card emphasizes opposites, with the exception of the yin-yangs (though even these show yin on top on one side and yang on top on the other).  There are times when I feel like my choices are reduced to all or nothing/yes or no, especially when emotions are involved.  Yet if I look closely, I see where the waters merge and head toward a cave with a mandala inside, a symbol of wholeness.  It is hard to sit with intense feelings and patiently wait until I can see a point of compromise that is neither black or white but neutral.

A roll from Rory's Story Cubes turned up "worry and bridge:"
"Like a bridge over troubled water, I will ease your mind." ~ Simon and Garfunkel
The "troubled water" theme reiterates the tarot card above.  The bridge is the way over, the middle path that can keep me from choosing one extreme or the other.  But when I'm worried, I can get so caught up in my fear I keep looking at the rapids I must cross instead of a solution that might help me.  Friends are the ones who can gently point out, "Bridge ahead, only 1/2 mile."  There's no need to sink or swim.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent reading. Still not sure I like that Neuzeit deck but I love how the dice told pretty much the same story in such a restrained way :-D Pure essence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pure essence" is a good way to describe them - have you ordered some yet? lol :D

      Delete
  2. I don't remember the Neuzeit as being this interesting. Must be the way the reader holds their head or something.

    Happy bday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the bday wishes! I didn't realize just how much there was to look at in these cards; I get to the point where I have to choose and few and forget the rest or I might be writing an essay on each card. :) I had Wegmuller's other deck (Gipsy Tsigane I think it was called) that he did before this one, but ended up passing it along.

      Delete