I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Keep the Focus on Me, not Them

From the Transformational Tarot, the Seven of Pentacles:
A young man leans against a tree while an older man makes his way through a tunnel.  My first reaction to this card is that it is about taking out one's "bucket list" and checking off what has and hasn't been done.  Perhaps the young man dreams of sailing around the world one day; on some level, he knows that he will make a final journey after which this will no longer be possible.  Behind the boat picture is a wall of webs that seems to ask, "What are you weaving with this wonderful life you've been given?"  I've always considered the Seven of Pentacles to suggest assessing one's progress toward a goal; here I think I am asked to make an inventory of my life so far.

From the Celtic Book of the Dead comes the "Island of Invisible Riders:"
Maelduin and crew come to this island rather early in their voyage.  On the island they can hear a horse race going on, but can't see any humans.  The hoof prints in the sand are large as sails and the cups are the size of large cauldrons.  Scared and shaken, they hurriedly head back to the ship and sail off.  This card reminds me of the mentality of most Americans, whose attitude tends to be "conquer it (you're either my friend or my enemy), fix it (you need to become like us), or get rid of it (if you're not a resource, you're a liability and must be eliminated)."  Maelduin and the guys had their culture-centric minds shaken when they landed on this island; here was a group of people who were "more" than them in every way.  The message of this island is that people, places and things that aren't like me don't need me mucking them up; I just need to accept them as they are and work on changing me and my attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment