I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Power of Speech

From the Mary-El Tarot, the King of Swords:
"I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word." ~ Emily Dickinson
Like the Emperor of China, this king uses the emblem of a dragon to symbolize his power and strength.  Yet he realizes his authority comes not from brute force but his ability to influence others with his intellect and eloquence.  With his bow, he shoots not arrows but quill pens dipped in ink; he knows the might of a well-timed and well-placed word.  His shaved head indicates his clarity and objectivity; he is open to new thoughts, yet not gullible.  Everything he learns will be processed in a rational, logical manner.  The King of Swords reminds me that words can heal or hurt, create or destroy, and I would be wise to keep a cool head before speaking.  He teaches me that no matter how many "I'm sorrys" I say, the bell can never be unrung.

From the OH Cards come the image and word "turtle" and "boast:"
This turtle brought to mind the pond sliders we have here.  They are so named because they sun on banks and logs, but as soon as they see movement of any kind, they quickly slide off into the water.  They remind me of folks on the internet who present opinions as facts.  When the "sunlight" of reality exposes them and they are recognized as a pot-stirrer or intellectual egomaniac, they rarely stick around.  This card encourages me to check my facts and sources as well as my motivations before spouting off about something.  Some things are better left unsaid. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Love the image of the quill as a weapon, so good for a King of Swords. And what a nice little turtle tale, didn't know that before :-D

    ReplyDelete