I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Progress or Restraint

From the Transformational Tarot, the Eight of Wands:
Not only does this woman have carefully drawn plans, but she also has a miniature model of the shop she plans to open.  The calendar on the back wall indicates things are progressing smoothly, and her dream will become a reality soon.  This card reminds me that just fantasizing about grand ideas won't make them happen, but order, preparation, and elbow grease can move things along quickly.  Time to get off my bum and do more than daydream.

From the Celtic Book of the Dead comes the "Island of Sorrow:"
When Maelduin and his men arrived at this island, several people were sent to investigate but never came back.  The reconnaissance team had become enchanted and drawn into the weeping and moaning going on among the island inhabitants.  Maelduin had the next group cover their mouths with their cloaks so as not to breathe the air, and they managed to rescue all the original group but one.  This island's challenge was to learn to grieve loss, but to eventually move on.  Staying in that place of sadness tightly restricts any forward motion.  Whether the past involves bereavement, regret or resentment, it can bind me so that I make no progress in my life.  I need to feel my pain but I must not stay here forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment