I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Love as Space

This week I'll be using the Osho Zen Tarot, created by Ma Deva Padma with Osho and published by St. Martin's Press. I'll also be using the A'HA Oracle, created and self-published by Linnie Lambrechtsen. Today's draws are the Lovers and Temple of Gentle Reasoning:
Love is space. It is developing our own capacity for spaciousness within ourselves to allow others to be as they are. That is love. And that doesn’t mean that we don’t have hopes or wishes that things are changed or shifted, but that to come from a place of love is to be in acceptance of what is, even in the face of moving it towards something that is more whole, more just, more spacious for all of us.
—Rev. Angel Kyodo Williams

          This Lovers card has two images of the same set of partners, one of which is inside a heart. As Padma explains, there is a whole spectrum of love: "as we begin to mature, we can begin to experience the love that exists beyond sexuality and honors the unique individuality of the other." Sex, while exciting and pleasurable, is just the tip of the iceberg in deeply committed relationships. The Temple of Gentle Reasoning (the heart) resembles a stupa - a hemispherical structure containing relics of Buddhist teachers that is used as a place of meditation. It reminds me that true love requires me to look beyond any fixed ideas I might have about it, to allow it enough space and freedom so each individual can continue to develop over time. As one-half of a decades-old partnership, I am beginning to understand this wisdom.

4 comments:

  1. Those Lovers look like reflections of oneself. The greatest love we can have is the one of ourselves. I am still working on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Padma does say other people can be a good mirror for us, which reminds me of one of Chodron's quotes: You can learn a lot about yourself by what insults you. :)

      Delete
  2. I would dearly Love it if the Lovers card was named Love card, so much larger permutations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%. I'd guess the fortune tellers might not be happy with that change though.

      Delete