I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 25, 2019

Shadow Side of Nostalgia

From the Osho Zen Tarot, the Six of Cups; from the A'HA Oracle, Shadow:
          Give my brain a few moments of intense pleasure, and that experience will be filed away for life. Then when I'm annoyed with my current partner, I'll pull up a memory of a beau from the past and think, "Now that's the way life should be." The problem is, I conveniently forget the other one thousand ways the guy from the past was a jerk. Nostalgia can be an enjoyable activity as long as it doesn't keep me from living in the present. The Shadow card suggests I look at the parts of my personality of which I might be ashamed or afraid. My shadow shows itself in my interactions and relationships with others; what frustrates and annoys me about others is likely a denied trait or mindset I have myself. Yet when I acknowledge and accept it, I can better understand and accept that same side in others. Then I won't have to go fishing in the past to find something more palatable than the present.

Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. ~Carl Jung


4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, I'm so glad I didn't actually marry the three most serious contenders. 2 turned out to be wife beaters, putting both women in hospital, and the other was a serial monkeyarounder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we must have visited the same neighborhoods in our youthful romantic pursuits!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes when I reflect on a possible past relationship, and wonder what if; I take time with my niece and nephew and know my choice was the right one. Those 2 really are some of the loves of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your niece and nephew are very lucky to have you for their aunt!

      Delete