I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Gull Mentality

This week I'll be drawing from the Everyday Enchantment Tarot, a set created by Poppy Palin and published by Red Feather. The oracle I'll be using is MentorSpirit, created by Kathy Tyler with Joy Drake and published by InnerLinks Associates. Today's cards are the Four of Coins and 'Peace:'
          The gull in Palin's card reminded me of the gulls in the movie Finding Nemo, constantly screaming "mine, mine, mine" over and over. I imagine if you were to toss a bottle of hand sanitizer, face masks, and disposable gloves into a store right now, humans would react much the same. Where is the line between looking after our own needs (so someone else doesn't have to do it) and becoming selfish, self-centered hoarders? When what I value is reduced to only my concerns without considering that of others, I've developed a gull mentality. The Peace card offers another slant: if I am hyper-focused on guarding what I have and getting what I desire, I will find no serenity. As Queen Elizabeth stated, "The lessons from the peace process are clear; whatever life throws at us, our individual responses will be all the stronger for working together and sharing the load."

4 comments:

  1. well she talks a good talk...but humans are a long way from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will be some willing to share and cooperate, and of course there will be some who continue to chant 'mine!' :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes the best action is no action. The virus does not move if we don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets no new hosts if we don't make any available!

      Delete