I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, April 16, 2020

I'm Listening... (and Reading)

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the King of Cups; from the Viking Lenormand, the Ship:
          The other day someone sent me a meme of a woman reading to a circle of potted plants. The gist was she desperately needed company and someone to talk with in the midst of our current shelter-in-place orders. But even those of us who live with other people can be just as lonely; we talk while the other person stares at their phone, computer or TV and mumbles 'uh-huh' every now and then. But the King of Cups keeps his eyes on the one talking, modeling calm rather than getting caught up in emotional turmoil. Maybe plants aren't such a bad substitute after all if this guy isn't available. The Ship represents adventure or a journey, something not likely to happen at the moment (at least physically), yet could be accomplished in other ways such as through reading. It's definitely a way to derail any thoughts of anxiety or frustration right now. I'm currently reading through a YA series by Tamora Pierce ("Terrier," "Bloodhound," and "Mastiff.") What are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. Just finished book one of All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, now on Old Bones (Nora Kelly Book 1) Douglas Preston, and listening to Muriel of Redwall by Brian Jacques. And we are working our way though the movies, Hobbit (part 3 tonight) and will follow with Return of the Ring. And have been watching House for the first time, so improbably as to be a comedy. Last left as House was being arrested, we cheered and hope he gets royally f-ed while there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The All Souls Trilogy is my most favorite book(s) read.

      Delete
    2. I thoroughly enjoyed the All Souls Trilogy. Fantasy is my go-to read when I want to relax and stop over-thinking. :)
      House has that effect on me too - he's brilliant but needs a resident to give him several headslaps to bring him down to earth every day. :D

      Delete
  2. I have noticed that Kitty realizes when I have picked up my Kindle that she has lost my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pets can definitely tell when we don't have their full attention! :)

      Delete
  3. I've hardly been reading at all, which is plain silly. My husband wants me to be with him in the living room in the evenings so goes out of his way to find TV shows and movies I'll like ... so that's where I've been, watching VERA and ENDEAVOUR and KILLING EVE and CATASTROPHE. I don't generally sit down and read during the day, but maybe I'll start. Reading centres me and is so much more fulfilling than anything on the TV. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cable is out so I'm trying to find something on Netflix. I read for pleasure at night, tucked in bed early with just the cat for company. :)

      Delete