I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Chasing Pleasure

This week I'll be using the Tarot of the Masters, created and self-published by James Ricklef. (I'll also be referring to Ricklef's Tarot Affirmations book.) The oracle deck I'll be using is The Key to the Kingdom, a set of transformational cards and companion book created by Tony Meeuwissen and published by Running Press. Today's draws are the Lovers and the Six of Spades:
 But until a person can say deeply and honestly, "I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday," that person cannot say, "I choose otherwise."
― Stephen R. Covey

          The Lovers shows a young man making a choice between a sultry, fun-loving woman and another who appears overly modest and more serious. If he lets his decision be made by his hormones, it's a no-brainer. The verse for the Six of Spades is by John Gay and inscribed on his monument in Westminster Abbey:
Life is a jest,
And all things show it;
I thought so once,
But now I know it.
Gay obviously realized that the moment we are born, we begin to die. The evidence is all around, but if our attention is absorbed by self-pleasure, we likely won't notice. That's not to say we shouldn't enjoy the bit of life we've been allotted, but perhaps we should consider the intentions behind our day-to-day choices if we'd rather have contentment and joy rather than simply chasing pleasure. 

4 comments:

  1. Once born we begin our journey Home. Best to choose companions to assist in learning and experiencing what we came here to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The companions we choose for our journey is important!

      Delete
  2. Running Press doesn't publish decks anymore, too bad they had a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to see them put out another set like this one.

      Delete