I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Dream Language

From the Tarot of the Sidhe, the Moon; from the Green Man Tree Oracle, Scots Pine:

People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes.
― Neil Gaiman

          Our conscious minds can only handle so much information and sensory input at one time, so it falls on the unconscious to sort out the rest. Researchers propose that the function of dreaming is to consolidate memories, process emotions, express our deepest desires, and gain practice confronting potential dangers. Tangled up in trying to decipher what the symbols of dreams mean, it's easy to wind up down some dark, twisty rabbit holes. In the words of J.K. Rowling, "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Scots Pine, the largest and longest-lived tree in the Caledonian Forest, is a keystone species upon which many other species depend. In the Highlands, they were often used as markers for burial places; in England they often marked the routes for droving livestock on foot from one place to another. It's message, paired with the Moon card, suggests we look for guideposts in the real world rather than relying only on information from the dream state.


2 comments:

  1. We all dream, sometimes remembered sometimes not. I notice that in my dreams lately I am doing lots of walking, possibly because I don't do so much in my awakened state. I wonder if it is because my nerve-damaged legs restrict me or if my dream state is telling me to get a move-on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to know and understand our own personal dream language!

      Delete