I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, July 12, 2021

Cautious Communication

From the Daniloff Tarot, the Ace of Swords; from the Kuan Yin Oracle, Verse 8:

Don't Make Assumptions. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.
~Don Miguel Ruiz

          The inclusion of the skull in this Ace of Swords suggests a memento mori ("remember you die) warning. Am I mindful of my tone, choice of words and timing when I communicate with others? Do I listen more than I speak? Am I curious enough to ask questions or do I simply dole out my opinions and judgments? The Kuan Yin verse reads:
Pine and cypress grow and flourish,
Rain, snow and frost cannot harm them.
One day, people will use their wood.
They are the beams and pillars of our world.
With my words, I plant seeds that will grow and produce effects long after they've been spoken. Will these words create harmony and provide encouragement, or will they cause hostility, shame, or harm? I would do well to pause and consider my motive before communicating, choosing to be silent rather than speak unskillfully.



2 comments:

  1. Once spoken we cannot retrieve the words. Oh how I wish some of them I could take back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Carolyn. I may pull out the nail but there will still be a scar.

      Delete